Monday, June 25, 2007

Jimbo Slice's "Just A Slice" #1


Jimbo Slice's "Just A Slice" #1
Welcome to the first edition/entry/blog of “Just a Slice.” Let’s see how long this lasts.
In this blog I plan to chronicle the ups and downs, the trail and tribulations, the nitty and the gritty (What the hell is a ‘Nitty’) of Black Cotton. I also plan to sprinkle in commentary on the happenings of current pop culture, all for your reading pleasure. Mark Twain said “The Man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them,” so here’s my disclaimer: You won’t gain any advantage from this blog, you may even leave here dumber than when you found it. I’ve warned you, enjoy. (Trey Peezy, who’s gonna read this shit!?) Shout out to those who were at Dream Street last night (6/21) to support local music. BC had a dope performance. I know because everyone said so! (Flattery doesn’t hurt if you don’t swallow it.) Why is it that artists trying to get in this industry have problems giving other artists props for a dope show, but if the show was wack, they’d be dapping us for a good set? I guess it’s the nature of the beast to want your competition to fail. We didn’t fail last night, though. We came out and killed it! We started off a little rocky at the 6 ‘O’ Clock sound check. Strong Man forgot to bring the show CD to the sound check, so we sat there with our thumb up our asses (no homo) and had to use an old show CD of outdated songs we don’t perform anymore. So after our bunk-ass sound check we went to Sweets’ house (Marre-L’s Grandma) to argue and finger point as to whose fault it was and who’s not doing this and that. LeoNardo suggested that we get a pair of BC boxing gloves to settle disputes. As much as this group argues we’d end up looking like a gotdamn Halloween costume contest on stage. I see it now, me performing with a pack of frozen peas strapped to my cheek, Nardo with a raw rib eye del Monico taped to his eye, Strong would have his head wrapped like an Egyptian mummy and wouldn’t be able to remember his lyrics because he was concussed (err), Marre-L wouldn’t be able to do his R&B ballads ‘cause his soup coolers would resemble split sausages (One in a million) and our manager TP would have his Jewish-sized snot box stuffed with gauze like he just had rhinoplasty done … Boxing gloves are out of the question! Any ways, we should be used to the obstacles by now. Something happens before every show, whether it be rain, during our first show or not having a show cd. Mario Andretti said, “If everything’s under control, you are going too slow.” If that’s the case … we’re doing mach-5! But I love this group and wouldn’t want to chase this dream with any other motley crew.
Special shout out to Big Tone, Tall Dee and Tall Candy (I gotta put on Prince shoes when I hang with y’all) and Lucy at the Red Circle, whose breath was kickin’ like Mr. Miyagi from one too many Adios Mofos. Go head girl, with yo’ blue tongue!

Joke of the Day comes from the legendary comedian Paul Mooney (Go rent his new stand-up special “Jesus was black”)
This black lady finds a magic lamp, rubs it and out pops a genie. The genie says, “You get two wishes.” The black lady asks, “I thought I’m supposed to get three?”

Genie: “You’re a nigga, you get two, hurry up!”

Black Lady:
“My first wish … I want you to build a bridge from L.A. to Africa so I can walk over there every time these white folks get on my nerves!”

Genie:
“I’m a genie, not God! You wasted your first wish, what’s your second?”

Black Lady:
Well, I wish that all black folks and all white folks had equal rights.”

Genie:
“You want that bridge made of cement or wood?”

No comments: